Putting together your own home toolbox can make a huge difference and help you save money. After all, you never know what may happen and simply being able to do a quick fix on your own can prevent bigger damage and waste. That said, your Langhorne handyman will suggest some of the toolbox essentials that might come in handy before it’s time to call for a professional.
A home toolbox allows you to complete various home tasks, maintenance, and repairs on your own. Not to mention that the right selection of these tools will make the work a lot more efficient. Still, even though it’s important to master some of the tasks so that you can DIY them, it’s also paramount to know when it’s necessary to call for a renowned handyman.
The right kind of box
It’s not just about having one tool or another but having a complete set of elements that will allow you to make small repairs, create projects, and solve problems easily. Depending on your craftiness and hobbies, you can complement your toolbox for the home with some more specific tools for your work or hobby, as well.
In addition, you must keep the tools in an appropriate box. Maybe you think that metal or plastic is just a matter of preference and that you could keep your tools in a simple cardboard box? It’s not like that. The boxes protect the tools against moisture condensation. Therefore, you need to have a plastic box with snap closure, a metal box with rubber weather strips that make a tight seal, or even a plastic one with a lid. This can be any box that has a hermetic seal to protect your tools. You can even add one or more packs of silica gel that you have left from your shoe boxes, to double your protection.
The most necessary tools for your home fixes
- It’s essential to have screwdrivers in 2 formats (blade or flat and Phillips).
- For specific projects, get a practical set of hex keys, which do not take up too much space but can solve more than one problem.
- Always have a torque wrench with tubes of different sizes and shapes, to remove and put pins properly.
- You should never forget to include a hammer. Of course, keep a small box with nails in different shapes, sizes and materials which you will surely need for more than one project.
- It’s also convenient to have a chisel or a bar, to break cement, padlocks or other hard elements.
- The pliers should also be an essential part of your home toolbox. It would be best to have a complete set that can solve all your needs, including flat pliers, cutters, round tips, common and extendable parrot tips, and pressure pliers.
- Measuring tools are also necessary. These include metal rulers, flexible measuring tapes and all extra ones that you know you may need. Always keep them close to a carpenter’s pencil. Don’t forget about a bubble level, a steel square, a protractor, a compass, and a precision gauge.
- It’s always convenient to have a saw for wood, a saw that can cut metal and plastic pipes and a carving knife.
- Brushes and sandpaper are also a very useful part of a home toolbox.
- Make sure to have an electric drill as well. Together with a box of screws, studs, etc. you’ll be all set for home DIY projects and simple repairs.
Completing your home toolbox is amazing, and can help you get creative and even save some money on simpler home repairs and projects. But, you can always count on your local Langhorne handyman and ifixit when some more challenging tasks are at hand.